Move Instaboot Area to New Disk
Problem: You need more space for your instaboot volume
Solution: Create a new disk, attach it your A3, and use it for the instaboot volume
By default, your A3 uses an anonymous Docker volume for your instaboot storage. This volume is described in /home/alike/docker-compose.yml:
Because the directory "instaboot" is not qualified, Docker places its contents on your A3 system disk under
The easiest way to create more space for your instaboot area is to remap it to a new disk.
Step 1: Create a New Disk for the A3 VM
- Create the new disk in XenCenter (or your hypervisor etc.) for the A3 VM.
- Since this disk will house your instaboot area, size it appropriately for your needs!
- If it's Xen, the disk name is likely "/dev/xvdb", but yours may vary. Make a note of this.
Step 2: Format the Disk
- sudo fdisk /dev/xvdb will format this disk. Be sure to put your correct disk in for the disk name.
- type "n" to create a new disk, and then "p" for primary, then enter to accept defaults
- type "w" to write out changes
- Add the filesystem tools "util-linux": sudo apk add util-linux
- Format the disk: sudo mkfs -t ext4 /dev/xvdb1 (MAKE SURE TO CHECK xvd[x]1)
Step 3: Add the Disk to fstab
- Make a directory for the mount: mkdir /home/alike/instadata
- Obtain the blkid of your disk: "sudo blkid"
- copy the uuid and paste it into this line here, so yours goes over 31...ff2:
- UUID=31f39d50-16fa-4248-b396-0cba7cd6eff2 /home/alike/instadata auto rw,user,auto 0 0
- Enter the "menu" area via "menu" and stop Alike services
- Reboot the A3
- Verify the new mount exists via "df -h". You should see something like:
/dev/xvdb1 548.9G 24.0K 546.4G 0% /home/alike/instadata
Step 4: Migrate existing instaboot data and remap the Docker volume
- Verify the A3 services are STOPPED! DO NOT PROCEED IF SERVICES ARE RUNNING OR THE WEBUI IS ACCESSIBLE
- Copy instaboot area to the new storage:
- sudo cp -R /var/lib/docker/volumes/alike_instaboot/_data /home/alike/instadata/
- Edit the YAML:
- Comment out the previous line, and add this one:
# - "instaboot:/mnt/instaboot"
Please note that Docker uses spaces and not tabs!
Step 5: Reboot and confirm
- Return to the menu by typing "menu"
- Start Alike services
- Log into the Alike UI and navigate to the "instaboot" page
- Confirm storage availability!